[Samba] navigating to samba server by servername strangeness

James Okken James.Okken at dialogic.com
Thu Jun 5 15:07:32 MDT 2014

hi everyone i am hoping for a bit of direction here, i've tried everything i can find that even closely relates to this.

i have a samba server that has shares that can be accessed from windows by simply typing \\192.168.1.1 in windows file explorer, its name has just been changed to fileserver1 and is in dns as fileserver1. it is also in the dns as fserver1. before the name change everything was fine.

the shares can be accessed from windows by typing \\fserver1 in windows file explorer, but since the name change when the new name is used, \\fileserver1 in windows file explorer, I am denied access with a popup:

"\\fileserver1 is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. the account is not authorized to login to this station"

I can get access if I use \\fileserver1 from a windows local login that is not a company.com domain login.

meaning this only happens from company.com domain logins. And, I can tell it is getting to the right IP address since netstat shows the correct IP address for fileserver1 when the error message is displayed.

this is version 3.0.25b on redhat 5.1 and unfortunately I can't upgrade right now.
here is my smb.conf. (I know, very insecure right now)

[global]
         hosts allow = ALL
         workgroup = company.com
         interfaces = lo bond1