[Samba] Visual Basic 6 file access to samba server Samba version 3.4.7 and Samba version 4.1.4 in Windows 8

Larry DiBona lad90000 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 14:56:59 MDT 2014

Folks,
Starting here with a file access question regarding Visual Basic 6 to
Samba servers either 3.4.7  or  version 4.1.4 under Ubuntu.  Just want
to see if anyone out there has seen something similar. There doesn't
seem to be any info on this on the web.  I know it's VB 6, but it's a
legacy system that won't be updated.  Microsoft will support VB 6 until 2024
Not needing help with VB, but trying to access a file programmatically
from within VB 6 running on Windows 8.1 to a Samba share results in a
"Cannot open file -- runtime error".  The code runs fine under Windows 7
to the same servers.
I am using Webmin to manage the Samba servers.  The permissions are set
to allow anyone read/write access and otherwise they work great with any
version of Windows, mapping drives, seeing files, accessing, deleting,
etc.
Is there some kind of obscure compatibility problems with Windows 8-8.1
accessing Samba shares that may only show up in older programs like VB
6.  Maybe someone has seen this, but I doubt it.
Thanks,
- Larry