[Samba] Few questions about members

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Jun 4 13:13:38 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 12:22 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
> Top posting now because the original was useless.
>
> When we try to join a member to the domain, the following results are given:
>
> # /usr/local/samba/bin/net ads join -U administrator
> Enter administrator's password:
> Using short domain name -- TS
> Joined 'MEMBER1' to dns domain 'ts.mystuff.com'
> DNS Update for member1.ts.mystuff.com failed: ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED
> DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
>
> DNS seems to work as expected, though. The previous tests showed working
> DNS.
That's the worrying part. Samba still issues tickets even with the wrong
(or no) dns registered in AD.

> We have even added the A record for the server manually.
>
> # host -t A member1.ts.mystuff.com
> member1.ts.mystuff.com has address 192.9.200.84

Hi
It doesn't matter if you add the record or not. It is the machine you
are joining which HAS to send it's own ID. The best (only way we've
found at least) way to do this is in /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 member1.ts.mystuff.com member1 localhost

If you're dhcp, you'll also need some way to update the dns on the DC
although worryingly, as we just said, you can still get tickets with the
wrong or no IP in AD.
HTH
Steve