[Samba] Few questions about members

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 4 10:45:53 MDT 2014

On 04/06/14 14:29, Steve Campbell wrote:
> We are experimenting with two different scenarios here. The one I'm
> asking about this time is this:
>
> We have a samba4 AD set up. It seems to be fine as far as we can tell.
> We are trying to set up a member, and have followed the wiki page
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server.
>
> The first question I have is why is the start script we use on the AD
> not work on the member to start samba? It appears we need to start the
> 3 individual daemons instead of being able to use the init script
> listed on the "get a start script" page.

When you run samba 4 as an AD DC, you start the 'samba' daemon, this in
turn starts the 'smbd' daemon. When it comes to a member server (at
present), you need to start the 'smbd' & 'nmbd' daemons and optionally
the 'winbind' deamon, this is why you need different startup scripts .

Before you ask, you cannot run the separate 'nmbd' & 'winbind' daemons
with the 'samba' daemon, aspects of both are built into the 'samba' daemon.

> Second question. We have a Windows XP machine that runs the
> administration stuff from Microsoft. We do not see the shares we
> placed on the member.

You should be able to do this, but the shares need to have the line
'browseable = yes'

> Being a real inexperienced Samba user, I'm not sure what to send or
> even if I'm asking the right questions.

Just keep asking, but preferably before you do anything ;-)

Rowland