[Samba] 4.1.7, PAM and dlopen errors

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 06:53:05 MDT 2014

Thanks Steve, very much appreciated. Now resolved - see below :)

On 4 June 2014 11:33, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 00:37 +0100, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
>>
>> Jun  4 00:28:01 server crond[1080]: PAM adding faulty module:
>> /lib64/security/pam_winbind.so
>
> I think you need to update the links:
> ln -s /usr/local/samba/lib/libnss_winbind.so /lib64
> ln -s /lib64/libnss_winbind.so /lib64/libnss_winbind.so.2

As far as I can see, these look OK - I have indeed set up the links
exactly like this. However, thank you for giving me the confidence
that this wasn't the issue - I'm glad to have been able to rule that
out.

I have now found the issue; I'm still not sure I 100% understand why
this was the case, but it turns out that crond, as it has been running
since the machine booted 143 days ago, had somehow got part of the
ldconfig cached - and was therefore not loading the modules correctly
as per the error messages I was seeing.

So, a simple 'service crond restart' has now fixed the issue - no
wonder I couldn't see anything wrong myself when testing from the
commandline.

Thanks very much for your help - at least this particular error
message (and solution) will now be available in the archives for
others experiencing the same problem!

Cheers,

Jonathan

--
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research, would it?"