[Samba] Interdomain Trusts

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:00:43 MDT 2014

I use samba 3.6.x for domain controllers for a "classic "
(security=server) domain.  I have trusts with Windows 2003.       I
wanted the Samba domain to trust the Windows domain.    My goals did not
include having the Windows domain trusts the samba domain but I found it
didn't work right with out two way trusts.

If sounds like you are able to get a list of users with wbinfo (wbinfo
-u), and use the various  wbinfo options to check mappings

  wbinfo -n "TRUSTEDDOMAIN\someuser"

shd return the SID

wbinfo -s "SOMESID"

shd return the name of the trusted user

wbinfo -S "SOMESID"
shd return an user ID of the trusted user.

Your /etc/nsswitch.conf file should have something like

         passwd:     files  winbind

The following commands require the nsswitch stuff to be working properly.

getent "TRUSTEDDOMAIN\someuser" passwd
id "TRUSTEDDOMAIN\someuser"