[Samba] Problem creating new DC's

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 09:40:23 MDT 2014

Hi James,

I have upped the RAM to 20GB and given it 8 cores, but unfortunately am
getting the same result. The time taken to process all the objects is well
over an hour which I'm guessing is where my problem lies.

Not sure what else to try expect maybe attempting to reduce the number of
DC's (over a weekend) and try again.

Thanks,
Chris.

On 3 June 2014 13:56, lp101 <lingpanda101 at gmail.com> wrote:

>      I believe I needed at least 8GB to complete the join process. I know
> it was more then 4GB. Here is a link to my discussion I had on this list in
> Jan.
>

> http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/DomainDnsZone-Replication-Shows-200-000-Objects-td4658437i20.html
>
>     I strongly discourage using the tombstone attribute to fix this issue
> within this discussion. It created more issues then it was worth. I'm not
> sure if this bug was fixed or not. Increase the memory and attempt to join
> the new DC to the existing DC at that site. It should help with the timeout
> error. Good luck!
>

> On 6/3/2014 8:44 AM, Chris Alavoine wrote:
>
> Hi James,
>
>  Thanks for the reply.
>
>  My last attempt had 4GB RAM and 4 cores (VM). Do you think I should give
> it some more?
>
>  Thanks,
> Chris.
>

> On 3 June 2014 13:42, lp101 <lingpanda101 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>     Hi Chris,
>>
>>     How much memory does your server have and are you attempting to join
>> it to the local DC at the site? I've had an issue similar to this and
>> increasing the server memory and attempting to join to a local DC helped.
>>

>> On 6/3/2014 8:04 AM, Chris Alavoine wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I currently have 6 Samba4 (4.1.5) DC's spread over a global network. This
>>> is working ok but they were created before any Sites were made and as the
>>> ability to move DC's to new Sites is not working, I am attempting to
>>> create
>>> new DC's in each location and then demote the old ones.
>>>
>>> The problem I am facing is the domain join process keeps timing out for
>>> any
>>> new DC. I think this is due the amount of objects that now need to be
>>> synced:
>>>
>>> Partition[DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=essence,DC=internal,DC=com]
>>> objects[142711/162691] linked_values[0/0]
>>> Partition[DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=essence,DC=internal,DC=com]
>>> objects[143113/162691] linked_values[0/0]
>>> Partition[DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=essence,DC=internal,DC=com]
>>> objects[143515/162691] linked_values[0/0]
>>>
>>> (this is a snippet from attempting to join, as you can see there are
>>> 162691
>>> objects which takes a fair amount of time to get through - I have tried
>>> this from various different locations).
>>>
>>> This is the final error I get:
>>>
>>> Replicating DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=essence,DC=internal,DC=com
>>> Partition[DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=essence,DC=internal,DC=com] objects[24/24]
>>> linked_values[0/0]
>>> Partition[DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=essence,DC=internal,DC=com] objects[48/24]