[Samba] winbindd 4.1.7 resolves group memberships for all but primary group

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Jun 3 07:39:51 MDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-03 at 15:11 +0200, Sven Schwedas wrote:
> I don't know where exactly the problem was, even with debug 5 I was only
> able to see that idmap failed… somewhere (STATUS_SOME_UNMAPPED).
> "Solved" by adding gids/uids to every single AD group and user.

Hi
Glad it's solved but the solution confuses us. Are you saying that (the
command) groups does not return group membership without the posix
memberUid? I ask, since you are already a member of Domain Users by
primaryGroupID.

We do not use memberUid, but the member and primaryGroupID attributes
are mapped correctly:
getent passwd steve2
steve2:*:3000021:20513:steve2:/home/users/steve2:/bin/bash

groups steve2
steve2 : Domain Users staff2

getent group Domain\ Users
Domain Users:*:20513:

Not sure if memberUid is necessary.

But this is with winbind running with sssd. Maybe winbind alone needs
it?

Would like to know the official answer on memberUid.
Cheers,
Steve