[Samba] RFC2307 on a Samba DC - HowTo

Henrik Langos hlangos-samba at innominate.com
Tue Jun 3 07:14:39 MDT 2014

Hi Franz and Marc,

On 05/18/14 20:12, Franz Pförtsch wrote:
> Hello Marc,
>
> I do not have the Unix - Attribute tab?
> Do I have to install the sfu utilities?

Don't know. Did you install the "Server for NIS Tools" ?
see.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Installing_RSAT_on_Windows_for_AD_Management#Installation

> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Marc Muehlfeld <mmuehlfeld at samba.org>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've finished a new HowTo this week (please proofread):
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_RFC2307_on_a_Samba_DC
>>

>> Regards,
>> Marc

Some suggestions from a relatively new user to samba4...

1. Apparently the link behind "NIS Extentions installed" in the
"Administer Unix Attributes in Active Directory" section goes to
"#Extending_the_Schema_for_NIS_Extensions".

I'd suggest pointing it to
"#Configuring_RFC2307_and_NIS_Extensions_in_a_Samba_AD" instead.

Otherwise people who are fresh to the material might get the impression
that they have to do the schema extension in order to use ADUC even
though the provisioning scripts did that work already.

2. Maybe change the title of "Extending the Schema for NIS Extensions"
to "Extending the Schema for NIS Extensions /in an existing Domain/" to
make it more clear that this isn't necessary for a newly provisioned domain.

3. Maybe move "On additional joined Domain Controllers" to the third
position to make clear that it is a valid point for both scenarios
("newly provisioned domains" and "extended existing domains"). Also I'd
drop the "joined" part.

Effectively changing

6 Configuring RFC2307 and NIS Extensions in a Samba AD

     6.1 During provisioning your first Domain Controller
     6.2 On additional joined Domain Controllers
     6.3 Extending the Schema for NIS Extensions

6 Configuring RFC2307 and NIS Extensions in a Samba AD

     6.1 During provisioning your first Domain Controller
     6.2 Extending the Schema for NIS Extensions in an existing Domain
     6.3 On additional Domain Controllers

or even

6 Configuring RFC2307 and NIS Extensions in a Samba AD

     6.1 On the Schema Master
         6.1.1 During provisioning your first Domain Controller
         6.1.2 Extending the Schema for NIS Extensions in an existing Domain
     6.3 On additional Domain Controllers

In this case 6.1 would only contain a hint that in a single/first DC
setting the DC is automatically the "Schema Master".

Cheers and thanks for the great work!
-henrik