[Samba] Samba4 binding LDAP Server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 3 04:42:03 MDT 2014

On 03/06/14 10:52, steve wrote:

>> I believe we are meaning the same. Just to clarify:
>> An upgrade from samba 3.5.x to 3.6.y to 4.1.z is just an update of the
>> software. In theory nothing has changed, in practice there are a lot of
>> changes in code and some changes in default settings.
>>
>> But an upgrade is not a change from "classical samba" to "AD based
>> samba".
> OK, fine. We'll adopt that meaning then. But we're digressing. The OP
> has done an update of a working samba3 system. We do not know what he
> has upgraded nor how, but he describes it as Samba4. It is clear from
> his smb.conf that he has no intention of upgrading. His issue remains:
> why did it work with Samba3 but not with Samba4. I don't know because I
> do not have enough information.
> HTH
> Steve

Please stop arguing over the meaning of 'upgrade', from where I am
sitting, you are both right!
If you install a newer version of a program i.e. install 1.6 over 1.4,
you are upgrading.
If you change from an NT4 type domain to an Active Directory domain, you
are upgrading.

 From what I have seen written by the OP, he has not only gone from
samba3 to samba4, he has moved distros as well. It would appear that his
other 'standalone servers' are running some version RHEL6, probably
Centos, but who knows ? He has now moved to samba 4 on Debian and
expects everything to run exactly as before, using a system that in my
opinion is flawed. He needs to stop and think 'just what am I trying to
achieve here' and I think that what he will come up with is 'I am trying
to achieve centralised authentication', the only real way to do this is
via AD.

Rowland