[Samba] share folders in BTRFS w/o having to retransfer back from a wind0ze computer

samba at cocoavillagepublishing.com samba at cocoavillagepublishing.com
Tue Jun 3 00:18:10 MDT 2014

I have the samba with AC DC running...  that was fun...not.
Debian Wheezy with backport,
# samba --version
Version 4.1.7-Debian

and I am using BTRFS for the file systems.

My issue.

I have about 400gig of files that were shared with a samba the old way,
security = user
I was hoping I could just change the ownership recursively to be
something standard, like root:sambashares
and put it in the smb.conf, reload then use computer management
on a windows box to set owners and groups

I did read https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares
and googled stuff elswhere..

However, only the folders made during provisioning seem to be manageable
from the windows computers.

My thought, the "acl" is not set...  I had hoped maybe samba would do
that for me....

I was able to use the folder created during provisioning to
create other shares underneath and manipulate from a windows machine.
And I do see the "+" when I do an ls -al
  ls -al /var/lib/samba/sysvol
total 0
drwxrwx---+ 1 root 3000000  80 Jun  2 16:42 .
drwxr-xr-x  1 root root    334 Jun  2 16:42 ..
drwxrwx---+ 1 root 3000000  30 May 28 13:13 myrealm.com

However if I create say, /exports and and did not use a folder under those
created during provisioning, /var/lib/samba/sysvol
I can not properly affect the permissions from my windows computers, and
the "+"
does not show..

I googled elsewhere and thought to use "setfacl"  and from what I read
suggested
that doing that from the unix side for samba was not feasible.

I read some examples that lead me to think I should do a generic setfacl
setting
and maybe let samba change it... that did not work for me.

---  So how do I share folders and files already on the unix box in
mounted from a different partition with a btrfs file system?

I hope I am just missing something or doing something oops obvious...

-tia.