[Samba] SAMBA & CTDB Configuration Issue using LDAP as back end.

Gerry George george.gerry at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 18:36:17 MDT 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 4:26 PM, J. Echter <
j.echter at echter-kuechen-elektro.de> wrote:

> Am 30.05.2014 21:48, schrieb Gerry George:
> > I have setup a SAMBA 3 cluster (running on SLES-11sp3) with 2 nodes. CTDB
> > is managing SAMBA, using a floating IP between the two hosts. Everything
> is
> > running fine as far as the cluster fail-over, etc. However, the SAMBA
> > cluster server(s) are supposed to be member servers, connecting to an
> > existing PDC which is using LDAP as the password backend.
> >
> > CTDB is inserting the following lines into the smb.conf file once it
> starts
> > SAMBA on a given node:
> >

> >  # CTDB-RA: Begin auto-generated section (do not change below)
> >  passdb backend = tdbsam
> >  clustering = yes
> >  idmap backend = tdb2
> >  ctdbd socket = /var/lib/ctdb/ctdb.socket
> >  fileid:algorithm = fsid
> >  # CTDB-RA: End auto-generated section (do not change above)
> >

> > Unfortunately, even when I change the entries to
> >

> > passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://LDAP-Server
> >    idmap backend = ldap:ldap://LDAP-Server
> >

> > CTDB rewrites it to the tdbsam entries upon take-over/failover to that
> > node.
> >
> > I have searched, but can't find any configuration option to override
> this,
> > although the documentation says that you can use either tdbsam or ldap as
> > the back-end for CTDB-managed SAMBA clusters.
> >

> > Has anyone dealt with this issue before?
> >
> > George-G
> Hi,
>
>  i have samba running on cluster nodes too.
>
> I have them running without samba clustering, i have services running on
> node 1, if node 1 goes down node 2 takes over.
>
> Works very well!
>
> Cheers
>
> juergen

I do have the fail-over working (as mentioned initially).  Where I'm having
an issue, is that I need to use LDAP as the backend, as there is an
existing server as domain controller with LDAP as the backend.  The cluster
is supposed to join this configuration, but I can't seem to be able to get
the CTDB configuration to accept the LDAP entries:

passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://LDAP-Server
idmap backend = ldap:ldap://LDAP-Server

instead of the default

passdb backend = tdbsam
idmap backend = tdb2