[Samba] Problems after PC is joined to the domain - Samba 4

Theodotos Andreou theo at ubuntucy.org
Sun Jun 1 23:24:26 MDT 2014

On 05/30/2014 02:40 PM, steve wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 14:08 +0300, Theodotos Andreou wrote:

>>> Hi
>>> try:
>>> add
>>> kerberos method = system keytab
>>> to [global]
>>> and issue:
>>> net ads keytab create -Uadmin
>>> (ru sure admin has sufficient privs to add machines?)?
>>>

>> I added that line and it gives:
>>
>> # net ads keytab create -U 'DOM\admin'
>> Enter DOM\admin's password:
>> kerberos_kinit_password DOM\admin at DOM..INT failed: Client not found in Kerberos database
>> kerberos_kinit_password DOM\admin at LIM.TEPAK.INT failed: Client not found in Kerberos database
>>
>> After omitting 'DOM\' from the username it gives:
>>
>> # net ads keytab create -U 'admin'
>> Enter admin's password:
>> ads_get_dnshostname: No dNSHostName attribute!
>> ../source3/libads/kerberos_keytab.c:328: unable to determine machine account's dns name in AD!
>>
>> I have changed the true username and domain name for reason of paranoia
>> :) but I am certain that the user I use is a domain admin.
> DNS on Ubuntu:
> http://linuxcostablanca.blogspot.com.es/2014/05/dns-good-enough-for-kerberos.html

Ok now I have this configuration:

# grep 127 /etc//hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       MYPCNAME.dom.forest.int MYPCNAME

and this:

# cat /etc/hostname
MYPCNAME

Testing:

# hostname -d
dom.forest.int

# domainname
(none)

I have no idea why domainname gives different results than hostname -d

The PC name resolves correctly on DNS:

# host MYPCNAME.dom.forest.int
MYPCNAME.dom.forest.int has address 10.10.10.156

The problem persists:

# net ads keytab create -U admin
Enter admin's password:
ads_get_dnshostname: No dNSHostName attribute!
../source3/libads/kerberos_keytab.c:328: unable to determine machine account's dns name in AD!

Could the problem with the domainname command be related to this? Any
idea why that happens?

How can I troubleshoot this issue deeper?