[Samba] Samba on Chrome OS

Eli Grey me at eligrey.com
Thu Jul 31 11:31:28 MDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
> Are you talking about a client implementation of SMB1/SMB2
> here ? It doesn't seem to make sense to have a Samba server
> on ChromeOS (although I'm willing to be persuaded differently :-).

I'm talking about both client and server (Chrome OS users want to
share their drives on their network as well), but first and foremost I
want to work on client support (with anyone here who is interested).
Server support is already possible in the current Chrome OS with
chrome.sockets.* + chrome.fileSystem.

SMB client support hasn't been possible until now with the
chrome.fileSystemProvider API being added soon.

> In which case wouldn't just turning on the CIFSFS Linux
> kernel client on the ChromeOS kernel make more sense ?

It might, but Google has decided that all user-accessible remote
filesystems are to be exposed through this API, and they have stated
that they won't enable the native Linux support for it. They are even
moving their internal Google Drive implementation to use
chrome.fileSystemProvider.

For those of you unfamiliar with Chrome OS: Outside of developer mode
(which gives users a root shell), users have intentionally limited
filesystem access. The default file browser that ships with Chrome OS
exposes access to only ~/Downloads and any SD cards or USB drives that
are mounted.