[Samba] Samba4 creating share and setting permissions without windows tools

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Thu Jul 31 17:00:29 MDT 2014

Rowland, it is missing because it is not needed. The installer, at least
on GNU systems, places the files in the correct location. Here is a dump
from a working file-server running Debian 7.5 Wheezy 64bit.

root at fs01:/usr/lib# l ./libnss*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    19 Jul 29 11:42 ./libnss_winbind.so ->
libnss_winbind.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23879 Jul 29 11:41 ./libnss_winbind.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    16 Jul 29 11:42 ./libnss_wins.so ->
libnss_wins.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13943 Jul 29 11:42 ./libnss_wins.so.2
root at fs01:/usr/lib#

I have never made those symlinks personally. GNU systems, and others
AFAIK, will search /usr/lib for libraries as well as /lib or /lib64.

Also, 64bit GNU systems use /lib, not /lib64. The /lib64 directory is
normally empty and all 64bit libraries are in /lib. Check that out on a
recent Debian or Ubuntu build. There was discussion of changing this a
year or so back, but apparently it never happened. Heck, this laptop is
Wheezy 64bit and /lib64 is empty, minus a single symlink to
"ld-linux-x86-64.so.2", which points to "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-2.13.so".

Does this mean that there should be a different install setup for each
distro? Also, why is S4 installing to /usr/local on your end? Mine
installs nothing from S4 to /usr/local.