[Samba] Setting up of Samba4 LDAP acting in standalone server mode

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 29 04:19:53 MDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-07-26 at 16:18 +0400, CpServiceSPb . wrote:
> Is somehow possible to run Samba4 built-in LDAP if Samba4 acts as
> standalone server or in some of non AD DC mode ?
>
> Functionaling in AD DC mode is not suitable for me because of necesarity of
> neighborhood what officially is not supported at the moment for AD DC, as I
> know.

Yes this does (or at least might) work if you provision like for the AD
DC, but set --server-role=standalone.

However, we don't expect to support this long-term, as we will want to
reduce the 'weird' combinations, and push folks to a supported set of
options.  For example, I would like to change our startup code to allow
you to start 'samba' and have it just 'do the right thing' starting just
smbd and winbindd if you are a standalone server, or the full AD DC if
you are that.  This would break what you propose, which is why I don't
recommend it.

Can you explain more why you want to use our internal LDAP as a
standalone server?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett