[Samba] Winbind rid + SID History creating duplicate per-user groups

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 08:52:39 MDT 2014

I had seen that the idmap directives were deprecated, and I tried
updating them, but it didn't help.  I tried both
    idmap config * : backend  = rid
    idmap config * : range = 10000-30000
and
    idmap config MYDOMAIN : backend = rid
    idmap config MYDOMAIN : range = 10000-30000

Users are created on the Active Directory servers (by another
department at our company).  As far as I can tell, the user groups
(like my jkelley group) are coming from winbind itself: they're not in
/etc/group or /etc/gshadow, they don't show up in Active Directory
Users and Computers, but they do show up if I run wbinfo --group-info.

Here's my complete smb.conf.

[global]
   workgroup = MYDOMAIN
   realm = MYDOMAIN.LOCAL
   server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   security = ads
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   pam password change = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   idmap backend = rid
   idmap uid = 10000-30000
   idmap gid = 10000-30000
   template homedir = /home/%U
   template shell = /bin/bash
   winbind enum groups = yes
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind use default domain = yes
   winbind:ignore domains = OLDDOMAIN EXTERNALDOMAIN
   usershare allow guests = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700
   valid users = %S

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no

And /etc/nsswitch.conf, just in case it helps:
passwd:         compat winbind
group:          compat winbind
shadow:         compat

#hosts:          files dns