[Samba] Samba 4 AD share: Access denied

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 27 02:56:49 MDT 2014

On 26/07/14 22:20, Ryan Ashley wrote:
> Alright, I just read the responses. I have two pickup trucks and one
> is older and acting up, so I have been working on it. On to the
> used to having to change the reply field to the list. My apologies.
>
> Yes I set g+s and u+s via chmod. This was great in Samba 3, but I can
> undo it if needed. I believe 700028 is "SYSTEM". The directories and
> files are owned by "administration", "domain admins", and "SYSTEM".
> Same for the other share, except "fbc" instead of "administration".
> And I used the linked article as a guide for setting up these shares,
> so it has been used up. I only set the sticky bits after it wasn't
> working. I was trying to get it working and wanted a standard user and
> group. Either way, that was the guide I used before posting to this list.
>
> On 7/26/2014 5:36 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Hi
>>> @Rowland
>>> chmod u-s <folder>
>>> and
>>> chmod g-s <folder>
>>
>> Hi, I actually knew that ;-) I was trying to get the OP to read up on
>> getfacl a bit more.
>>>
>>> I think that's OK, but I've suggested removing everything and starting
>>> with only the sticky bit on group:
>>> chmod g+s
>>> in combination with the group rw acl. That is all we are using here for
>>> our group access share. What we are not seeing here are the xacls, but
>>> the OP is doing it on the samba side. The group rw maps fine in
>>> windows.
>>> It also looks as though windows has had its say too as there is a
>>> builtin acl set too.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve
>>>

>> I would also suggest that the OP has a read here:
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares_with_Windows_ACLs
>>

>> Rowland

OK, after a bit more thought, I decided that as everything seems to be
correct it is probably a windows problem. A quick internet search turned
this up:

  http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/18056-w2k3-server-can-access-windows-8-windows-8-computer-cant-see-w2k-server.html#post177162

Have a look, I think that it may fix your problems.

Rowland