[Samba] Samba and ActiveDirectory authentication

Daniel Iwan iwan.daniel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 15:37:33 MDT 2014

Hi all

I'm interesting in using Samba shares with Microsoft AD in following way:
I would like to set up my shares on Samba 3.6.3, authenticate Windows users
via ActiveDirectory and have users/groups access to those shares configured
in ActiveDirectory (not in smb.conf). Is that possible?

I did fair amount of research but I could not find enough information or
tutorial how to do it.
Do I need to have special schema etc imported in LDAP?

I'm not interested in setting up ActiveDirectory on Linux as I need to
integrate with existing Windows Server (2003 or 2008)

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04

Any help and links appreciated.

Regards
Daniel