[Samba] Domain member (2k8R2) server, problem mapping Kerberos/NSS users

George jorgito1412 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 12:42:18 MDT 2014

Minimal smb.conf on the member server goes as follows:

---------------------------
[global]

   netbios name = MEMBERSERVER
   workgroup = MYDOMAIN
   security = ADS
   realm = MYDOMAIN.COM
   encrypt passwords = yes

# This is needed!
   idmap config *:backend = tdb
   idmap config *:range = 70001-80000

# This range has to match the one that sssd has
# assigned to your domain. Leave it like this if
# you set the default domain SID on sssd.conf
   idmap config MYDOMAIN:backend = nss
   idmap config MYDOMAIN:range = 200000-399999

   winbind nss info = rfc2307
   winbind use default domain = yes

   vfs objects = acl_xattr
   map acl inherit = Yes
   store dos attributes = Yes
---------------------------

Also, sssd.conf goes as follows:
---------------------------
[sssd]
services = nss, pam
config_file_version = 2
domains = mydomain.com

[nss]

[pam]

[domain/mydomain.com]
id_provider = ad
access_provider = ad

# The following is needed on Debian/Ubuntu systems because the hostname
# is not returned as an FQDN by default. sssd comes from the Red Hat
# world where it expects to be returned as an FQDN (logs
# are spammed with errors otherwise)
ad_hostname = memberserver.mydomain.com

# The following allocates the first slice to this domain. This forces the
# ID mappings to occur within the 200000-399999 range
ldap_idmap_default_domain_sid = YOUR_DOMAIN_SID_HERE

Still, not sure if your original problem is caused by a
misconfiguration here, though...

Best regards!

George