[Samba] Being able to read password hashes

Jefferson Davis jdavis at standard.k12.ca.us
Mon Jul 21 18:35:34 MDT 2014

So, bottom line, ldapsearch (from openldap) won't work even if accessed from the DC?

oy. I get it's a microsofty security "feature" but in my mind admin is ADMIN. aka root. aka do what I say and don't ask questions.

So we would HAVE to use ldbsearch on the local server ONLY for such things?

FWIW I am not looking to retrieve and decrypt passwords, just save the hashes into an LDIF to re-apply to the user's account.

Thanks for the info, hope I can figure this out. When I told my techs the password save/restore scripts would not work anymore there was much pouting and gnashing of teeth.