[Samba] Using SMB_VFS_IS_OFFLINE for directories.

Dean Roehrich dean.roehrich at quantum.com
Mon Jul 21 08:55:06 MDT 2014

On 07/20/2014 07:44 AM, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 03:53:37PM -0500, Dean Roehrich wrote:
>> I've attached the patch.
>>
>> Right now the only testing I've done is to have a plugin that always
>> returns 'true' to the SMB_VFS_IS_OFFLINE() op and then on the
>> windows box I manually navigate through the folder hierarchy.
>
> One question: What is your reason behind doing it? Does it
> change Windows behaviour, i.e. does Windows traverse those
> directories less for example?

We have a case where the linux node may not be able to immediately
provide the contents of the folder.  We'd like to have the windows
client wait on its original request for the duration of the delay,
rather than making new requests.  In our case, the delay is always less
than OffLineFileTimeoutIntervalInSeconds, but still long enough that we
need to tell windows that the file/folder is offline.

Dean

The information contained in this transmission may be confidential. Any disclosure, copying, or further distribution of confidential information is not permitted unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by Quantum. Quantum reserves the right to have electronic communications, including email and attachments, sent across its networks filtered through anti virus and spam software programs and retain such messages in order to comply with applicable data security and retention requirements. Quantum is not responsible for the proper and complete transmission of the substance of this communication or for any delay in its receipt.