[Samba] Windows XP cannot join Samba 4AD but win 7 can.

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 08:30:03 MDT 2014

NTLM  is related to authentication (The NT Lan Manager password hashing.)
SMB is the "Server Messaging Blocks" -   aka CIFS -     which is the
network file and print sharing protocol.

So your NTLM and SMB settings are not related to each other.

If I understand correctly - and maybe I don't -   if you are using AD
then kerberos is used for authentication instead of NTLM.   I don't know
if Samba 4 AD can fall back to NTLM for backward compatibility.

You can check wikipedia to quickly determine with versions of NTLM and
SMB work with which clients.