[Samba] Windows XP cannot join Samba 4AD but win 7 can.

Sébastien Degouzon sebastien.degouzon at univ-brest.fr
Mon Jul 21 03:58:05 MDT 2014

Hello everybody,

I've got some troubles making Win XP join may samba4 AD, and, well, i'm
kind of stuck !

I use the binary distribution of Samba 4 for Ubuntu Trusty Server
(4.1.6), with bind9 DLZ as a DNS backend.

Everything works fine with Win7 workstations, but I get a message
"Internal Error" on Win XP workstation during the domain join.
The machine account is created on the server, but stated "disabled", and
the DNS entry is missing...

I've already checked time sync (works fine), and all the typical
pitfalls, and again, it works just fine with a Win 7 box...

FYI, my server is running on a KVM/Libvirt virtual machine, but I don't
think this is the issue. Also, I already ran tests with previous
relesases of samba4 witch worked well.

The log files show me that the Win 7 boxes use SMB2 protocol, and XP
uses NTLM : is this normal ? (I thought XP could use SMB1, but maybe i'm
wrong)...

Any idea ? Or course I can show every piece of information you might
need to resolve my issue...

Thank you very much for your help...

--
UBO <http://iut.univ-brest.fr>