[Samba] demote DC

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sat Jul 19 18:51:27 MDT 2014

Am 20.07.2014 00:58, schrieb Fernando Rodriguez:
> This is a private domain. Our internet domain is external.  I tought i
> didn't matter the use of .local or .lan.

Even there are good reasons not to use .local, I think, this doesn't
mean you hit a dead end.

MS uses .local in documentation and examples, too. Of course they say,
that when you use MacOSX, you have to choose a different TLD, because of
rendezvous.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc626155%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

I don't think .local is the cause of your problems, if you can except
Macs and mDNS stuff interferences in your network. Also two of your DCs
work like they should and I guess the third had a time it also did.

> If this is the problem, is there any way to change the domain name
> without the need of rejoin all the machines to the domain?

Currently Samba doesn't provide the ability to rename a AD domain.

Regards,
Marc