[Samba] LDAP/PDC migration to Samba4

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Sat Jul 19 17:29:57 MDT 2014

Greetings, Rowland Penny!

> you also posted that you wanted to upgrade from a
> samba3 PDC to a samba4 PDC i.e. like for like, or do you really want to
> upgrade to an AD DC?

Perhaps, I wasn't exactly clear. Let me reiterate on the issue.

I want to build a new server. Completely new.

The old hardware is running real old, it's a Socket 478 Celeron without 64-bit
support, and I'm running out of free space on it's 40(forty, that is) Gb of storage.

And I really want to get 64-bit system, to free my hands on future upgrades as
much as possible.

As you can see, simple upgrade of old system is not an option.

When the new server is up and running as BDC, I want to move the rest of old
server functionality to replace it as PDC, gateway, accounting and file-server.

When all that done, I want to enable AD support. Ultimate goal is to have
selectable roaming user profiles and full support for Win7 in domain
environment.

That is. At least, from Samba side. There's also associated goals, which are not
directly related to Samba.

P.S.
Please, don't take "enable AD support" literally. If that will come naturally
as a result of migration, I'm fine with it.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (anrdaemon at yandex.ru) 20.07.2014, <02:59>

Sorry for my terrible english...