[Samba] LDAP/PDC migration to Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jul 19 15:11:33 MDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 04:10 +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, All!
>
> > I'm planning a migration to Samba 4 (for a long time, I admit, but I only
> > recently got a promise of funds for a new server... whew...), but I'm a little
> > in the dark on how to arrange whole process.
>
> I forgot to mention, I've found an article[1] on the Samba wiki, but it only
> discuss upgrading of existing installation.
>
> [1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Classic_Upgrade_(NT4-style_domain_to_AD)

Andrey,

The same guide applies if this is on a new server, but of course you
need to get the information about how to talk to your LDAP server
across.

If it helps, think of it as adding a new server to your existing domain,
then upgrading it.

This was expressed more clearly in the old HOWTO:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php?title=Samba_Classic_Upgrade_%
28NT4-style_domain_to_AD%29&oldid=8471

Marc,

Could you put back the information on migrating on a new server?  This
is generally how folks do this migration (as they plan to trial on new
hardware and decommission old hardware), and we need this to be
clearer.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett