[Samba] demote DC

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Fri Jul 18 13:19:00 MDT 2014

Hello Fernando,

Am 18.07.2014 20:14, schrieb Fernando Rodriguez:
> I am having a problem while demoting a DC.
>
> The DC i want to demotes is still online. When i try to use the command
> samba-tool domain demote this is the message i get:
>
> root at hoorn:/home/newhang# samba-tool domain demote
> ERROR: Current DC is still the owner of 2 role(s), use the role command
> to transfer roles to another DC
> root at hoorn:/home/newhang#
>
> But after a fsmo show, all the roles belongs to another DC.
> root at hoorn:/home/newhang# samba-tool fsmo show
> InfrastructureMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
> Settings,CN=VOLENDAM,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=solid-optics,DC=local
>
> RidAllocationMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
> Settings,CN=VOLENDAM,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=solid-optics,DC=local
>
> PdcEmulationMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
> Settings,CN=VOLENDAM,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=solid-optics,DC=local
>
> DomainNamingMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
> Settings,CN=VOLENDAM,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=solid-optics,DC=local
>
> SchemaMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
> Settings,CN=VOLENDAM,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=solid-optics,DC=local

Sounds a bit like a split brain situation, that should never occour. Do
you have an idea what could cause that?

Who does your other DC(s) think, the 5 roles belong to?

Is the replication between the DCs still working correct? Then try
transfering/seizing all roles back to the DC you want to demote and then
to an other again.

If this doesn't help or the replication is broken, then we need to
discuss different ways.

Regards,
Marc