[Samba] Samba4 Replication Errors

Donaldson Jeff Jeff.Donaldson at ncs.k12.de.us
Fri Jul 18 08:23:51 MDT 2014

Greetings,

I recently promoted a new DC in our existing domain. The existing domain consists of two domain controllers running Samba Version 4.2.0pre1-GIT-b505111 on Ubuntu 12.04 Server. The newly promoted DC is also running Ubuntu 12.04 server, but Samba Version 4.1.8. The promotion was successful and after a few tweaks to DNS, replication is working. It is however failing on some items and I'm at a loss on how to resolve them. Attached is the output of samba-tool drs showrepl for each of the servers. PDC1 and BDC1 are our existing DCs and BDC2 is the newly joined DC. BDC2 seems to fully replicate inbound/outbound to our PDC, but if I manually tell it to replicate to our PDC using any of the following commands samba-tool drs replicate PDC BDC2 dc=ncs,dc=k12,dc=de,dc=us, samba-tool drs replicate PDC BDC2 CN=Configuration,dc=ncs,dc=k12,dc=de,dc=us, etc...I get the following error -

ERROR(<class 'samba.drs_utils.drsException'>): DsReplicaSync failed - drsException: DsReplicaSync failed (-1073610723, 'NT_STATUS_RPC_PROTOCOL_ERROR')  File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/drs.py", line 345, in run    drs_utils.sendDsReplicaSync(self.drsuapi, self.drsuapi_handle, source_dsa_guid, NC, req_options)  File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line 83, in sendDsReplicaSync    raise drsException("DsReplicaSync failed %s" % estr)

It doesn't make sense that if I show replication and inbound\outbound is successful, why wouldn't manually telling it to replicate work? Any help\guidance is appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff Donaldson
Technology Director