[Samba] ctdb do not start nmbd if serving AD

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 18 03:54:53 MDT 2014

On 18/07/14 10:44, steve wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 09:26 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 18/07/14 07:41, steve wrote:
>>> ctdb 2.5.3 dual node file server with 4.1.9 serving AD domain
>> OK Steve, on opensuse try this:
>>
>> Change
>>
>>       suse)
>>           CTDB_SERVICE_SMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_SMB:-smb}
>>           CTDB_SERVICE_NMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_NMB:-nmb}

>>       suse)
>>           CTDB_SERVICE_SMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_SMB:-smb}
>>           #CTDB_SERVICE_NMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_NMB:-nmb}
>>
>> This should let the script stop any instances of the nmbd deamon that
>> are running, but would then wouldn't start nmbd again.
>>
>> I think that the script would have to be rewritten for any other OS.
>>
>> Rowland
>>
> Yep. That works. The more I looked at it, the more impossible it became.
>
> I'm not sure if this file is distro specific. Your comment about
> rewriting leads us to think it is. e.g. Ubuntu seems to do smbd, nmbd
> and winbind all in the same script:
> http://burning-midnight.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/quick-notes-samba-3-ctdb-pacemaker-and.html
> whereas openSUSE splits winbind off.
>
> In any case, we think it would be pertinent to make a check to see if we
> were joining to AD and disable nmbd there and then. If not, nmbd goes
> crazy each time smbd is hit. I think this is because the cluster nodes
> have the same netbios name.
>
> Anyway, thanks. One step closer to production.
> Steve

Hi Steve, after a bit more investigation i.e. looking on my Debian
wheezy backports AD DC server and my Linux Mint 17 laptop, I think the
script could be altered for Debian

Change

     debian)
         CTDB_SERVICE_SMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_SMB:-samba}
         CTDB_SERVICE_NMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_NMB:-""}
         ;;

     debian)
         CTDB_SERVICE_SMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_SMB:-smbd}
         #CTDB_SERVICE_NMB=${CTDB_SERVICE_NMB:-""}
         ;;

This should give the same result as on opensuse

Rowland