[Samba] LDAP/PDC migration to Samba4

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Thu Jul 17 16:12:24 MDT 2014

Greetings, All!

I'm planning a migration to Samba 4 (for a long time, I admit, but I only
recently got a promise of funds for a new server... whew...), but I'm a little
in the dark on how to arrange whole process.

Right now, the situation is imagined as follows:

Server A: LDAP/PDC/Samba3/NAT/DHCP/BIND/everything else.
Server B: New installation, x86_64, Samba4, would-be-replacement for Server A.
Local network: Win2k/WinXP/Win7 systems, with sparkles of iOS/Android/Win8.

Now, is there a way to transparently add the new server as a BDC, wait for
transfer, then flip a switch and make it primary controller?

If this process already described somewhere, I would really appreciate
not-too-deep-and-sidestepped guidelines.

I'm eternally thankful to rickyjones from ubuntuforums for his comprehensive
guide to setup LDAP+Samba3 PDC, nothing I've seen in the internet on the
subject have matched the quality of his article.

But with migration on hand right now, I'm in the dark... kind of.
I'm really don't want to recreate the domain from scratch. The amount of users
that would be need to migrate/reconfigure/placate/fend off is just unbearable.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (anrdaemon at yandex.ru) 18.07.2014, <01:59>

Sorry for my terrible english...