[Samba] DFS queries via rpcclient to Windows 2012 Server fails

Sangster, Mark m.v.sangster at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 10:00:00 MDT 2014

Hello,

We previously had Win2008 R2 DCs which we have begun to replace with Win2012 servers (forest is still at 2008 level however). I was able to query DFS via rpcclient but now I find that I am unable to.

I know that SMB3 was introduced in Win2012 but I believe that it should auto-negotiate earlier versions. I did however test from v4.1.9 as well, unfortunately that still fails.

From Samba3 tools:
$ rpcclient -V
Version 3.0.33-3.39.el5_8
rpcclient $> dfsenum 3
result was NT_STATUS_CTL_FILE_NOT_SUPPORTED

From Samba4 tools:
$ rpcclient -V
Version 4.1.9
rpcclient $> dfsenum 3
result was WERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

I have approached our MS support to see if there was issues on the domain side of things, they have requested that I confirm that rpcclient is capable of working with Win2012.

I wonder if anyone can assist me with ideas or other things to test?

Thanks
Mark

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.