[Samba] Replication and DNS issue

Donaldson Jeff Jeff.Donaldson at ncs.k12.de.us
Tue Jul 15 13:20:57 MDT 2014

Greetings,

I recently setup a new server to join an existing domain as a DC. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 server and downloaded and installed Samba 4.1.8. The installation went well and once completed I joined the domain with the following command - samba-tool domain join mydomain DC -Uadministrator --realm=mydomain (actual name changed). I got the Joined domain as a DC message. I followed the steps outlined in the Samba Join a Domain as DC wiki page to check required DNS entries. Running the host -t A server.domain returns the correct IP address. If I run the ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb '(invocationid=*)' --cross-ncs objectguid I see all three of my Domain controllers and their respective guids. I then ran the host -t CNAME guid._msdcs.mydomain command and found the msdc record wasn't added. I then used samba-tool to add it. It added correctly and the previous command now returns that the guid is an alias for the server. I then start Samba services without any errors. When I then check replication using samba-tool drs showrepl I have one inbound replication error and all outbound attempts fail. How can I get the new server to replicate to the existing DCs correctly (see txt attachment for showrepl results)?

The other issue I noticed is running DNS checks. If I run the host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.mydomain command, the newly joined DC doesn't appear. Same goes for the host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.mydomain. It does return correctly when running host -t A myserver.mydomain command. How can I correct the DNS entries? Kerberos appears to be working because I can kinit administrator and see the ticket. Any ideas?

I'm fairly new to Samba4, so please excuse my ignorance. Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff Donaldson
Technology Director