[Samba] samba4 replication issues | sam.ldb inconsistency

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Jul 15 12:14:01 MDT 2014

Hello Mourik,

Am 15.07.2014 18:48, schrieb mourik jan heupink - merit:
> A thing that just occured to me:
>
> All fsmo roles are still owned by my DC1, including the
> DomainNamingMasterRole.
>
> This probably means that my new DC3 tries to register dns stuff to DC1,
> right? As this is the DC with the corrupt DC=DomainDnsZones, it's likely
> to fail.

The Domain Naming Master role is among others responsible for the
uniqueness of domain and subdomain names and DC names in an AD forest.
It's not DNS stuff.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc223750.aspx

> I should probably now transfer the fsmo role DomainNamingMasterRole to
> my DC2, and then attempt to restart DC3.
>
> Does the list agree with this?

If you replication isn't working any more - and you can't get it fixed -
you should shutdown your DC1 and seize the roles on your remaining DCs:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Flexible_Single-Master_Operations_%28FSMO%29_roles#Seizing_a_FSMO_role

But you should make sure, that DC1 doesn't come back, because the five
roles must not exist twice in your domain/forest (depending on the role).

Regards,
Marc