[Samba] guide to install samba

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 14 10:07:14 MDT 2014

On 14/07/14 16:26, marcos wrote:
> Actually is the AD DC and file server. My idea is to separate to only do
>>> a DC.
>> I think that you mean that you want to setup samba 4 as the DC and
>> then use seperate fileservers joined to the domain, is this correct ??
> Correct!
>>> My problem is about profiles, beacuse I used a mobile profiles,
>>> and now I would like to know options, and how to use local profiles in
>>> samba 4.
>> By 'mobile profiles' I take it you mean 'roaming profiles', I also
>> take it that now you want to use local profiles instead, if this is
>> the case, try searching the internet, but instead of using samba4 in
>> the search terms, use AD or active directory instead.
>>
>> You could use folder redirection instead of local profiles, again all
>> the info is out there on the internet, you just need to get that
>> Samba4 AD is the same as windows AD.
>>
> Ok
>>> I understand than samba 3 and samba 4 works with same config?
>> Well yes, but only if you are comparing like with like, i.e. a samba3
>> PDC and a samba4 PDC. If you set up an AD DC, the smb.conf is created
>> for you, but you can then fine tune this to suit your requirements.
>>
> OK, any suggestion about configs of DC? I need to config a new DC using
> the old ldap parameters, to not have two domains in the same LAN.

Can you be a bit more specific, do you want/need to upgrade from your
original PDC ? if so have a look here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Classic_Upgrade_%28NT4-style_domain_to_AD%29

If you just want to setup a new AD DC, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO

>> Finely, can you please contact me via the samba mailing list,
>> contacting me direct could break the flow of the thread.
>>
> Ups, was an accident...:-)

No problem, as I said, I was just concerned that it would break the
thread of the conversation and somebody (searching in the future) may
end up with the broken threads.

Rowland