[Samba] guide to install samba

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 14 06:07:44 MDT 2014

On 14/07/14 12:32, marcos wrote:
> El 14/07/14 13:16, Rowland Penny escribió:
>> On 14/07/14 12:11, marcos wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> El 14/07/2014 13:04, Rowland Penny ha escrit:

>>> To do the migration my idea is to config a new server completely
>>> clean, and use samba. My ldap is configured separated in other server
>>> and only Im interested about the parameters to update from old config
>>> and create a new SID. Really now the support is very bad (version
>>> 3.0.3) , for this I prefer to work with samba 4, but l don't know If
>>> exist any place for instructions to config new samba 4  + ldap.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Or the most updated is the wiki?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Anything that samba3 can do, samba4 can do, plus it can also be an AD
>> DC, so if that is what you want, just follow the howto you posted,
>> making changes where required because it is written for ubuntu and not
>> debian.
>>
> Actually is the AD DC and file server. My idea is to separate to only do
> a DC.

I think that you mean that you want to setup samba 4 as the DC and then
use seperate fileservers joined to the domain, is this correct ??

> My problem is about profiles, beacuse I used a mobile profiles,
> and now I would like to know options, and how to use local profiles in
> samba 4.

By 'mobile profiles' I take it you mean 'roaming profiles', I also take
it that now you want to use local profiles instead, if this is the case,
try searching the internet, but instead of using samba4 in the search
terms, use AD or active directory instead.

You could use folder redirection instead of local profiles, again all
the info is out there on the internet, you just need to get that Samba4
AD is the same as windows AD.

> I understand than samba 3 and samba 4 works with same config?

Well yes, but only if you are comparing like with like, i.e. a samba3
PDC and a samba4 PDC. If you set up an AD DC, the smb.conf is created
for you, but you can then fine tune this to suit your requirements.

Finely, can you please contact me via the samba mailing list, contacting
me direct could break the flow of the thread.

Rowland