[Samba] Homes shares randomly dissapear on AD-DC'S

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Thu Jul 10 04:13:01 MDT 2014

Am 09.07.2014 12:58, schrieb Achim Gottinger:
> Am 09.07.2014 11:29, schrieb Achim Gottinger:
>> Am 09.07.2014 11:08, schrieb Jonathan Buzzard:
>>> On Wed, 2014-07-09 at 10:42 +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
>>>
>>> [SNIP]

>>> I take it that you missed the big warnings not to use nscd in
>>> combination with winbind? You are aware that winbind does it's own
>>> caching?
>>>
>>> I would suggest your first port of call is to disable unscd and see if
>>> the problem goes away.
>>>
>>> JAB.
>>>
>> Thank you for the tip, disabled it at all four locations. I used
>> unscd also on the main site which always ran rock solid.
>>
>> Restarting samba on the branches witch winbind/nss issues fixed
>> wbinfo/getent passwd tests for a few minutes but now they do not
>> resolve again. Gotta watch it with unscd disabled now.
>> Thinking about downgrading tp 4.1.4 which had had the issues but they
>> appeared only once a week and not every few hours.
>>
>> achim~
>>
> Had to restart samba a few more times meanwhile. Was able to make it
> fail running wbinfo -u a few times. Since they servers are all vm's
> with 1GB in the branches i increased the moemory to 3Gb and since then
> i was not able to make samba fail with wbinfo -u. Hope that did the
> trick.

So far no more [homes] drop outs with 3GB memory assigned. Also wbinfo
-u getent passwd work flawless. Skimming thru saved log files from
yesterday trying to find anything memory related but i can not find
anything. Also there are no sings like OOM kills in syslog at that
timeframe.
The vm's had 4GB swap space assigned which had shown usage in few MB range.
Would have expected slow down's in speed due to swapping but no silent
dropping of shares if an server runs out of memory.

achim~