[Samba] samba4 replication issues | sam.ldb inconsistency

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Wed Jul 9 05:41:00 MDT 2014

Am 09.07.2014 13:24, schrieb mourik jan heupink - merit:
> Hi Daniel, list,
>
> Ok, so it sounds as if we're in serious problems, with a (separate?)
> issue on both dc1 and dc2. Yet nobody else (thank you, Daniel!) is
> responding at all...
>
> Does nobody know how to handle a situation like this? Has no one ever
> been here? All help would be DEEPLY appreciated... Again, to resume:
>
> We have two dc's:
> On dc2: samba-tool dbcheck cross-ncs" has been checking 187478 objects
> for 18 hours or so, but "tdbbackup -v" tells me all ldb's are healty
>
> On dc1: root at dc1:/var/log/samba# samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs
> ltdb:
> tdb(/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=SAMBA,DC=COMPANY,DC=COM.ldb):
> tdb_rec_read bad magic 0x198 at offset=1044437120
> ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - Indexed and full searches both failed!
>
> On both DC's the DC=DOMAINDNSZONES ldb file is ten times bigger than
> the other ldb files. Not sure if that's normal.
>
> What to do?
> - Add a third (new, fresh) DC, and hope it will sync successfully?
> - copy the DC=DOMAINDNSZONES ldb from dc2 to dc1?
>
> Fortunately the network still seems to be running fine.
If one of your two DC's is still working flawless you can try to move
all fsmo roles to that server and rejoin the other one.
DC=DOMAINDNSZONES can become pretty huge since it keeps all the deleted
dns entries for 6 month by default.
To shrink it you can tdbbackup the ldb file and use that dumped file
which should be smaller. Stop samba run tdbbackup and copy the backup to
the original location.
Seems tdbbackup works on dc1 for
DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=SAMBA,DC=COMPANY,DC=COM.ldb maybe using the backup
fixes your issues.

achim~