[Samba] Weird behaviour

Giedrius Tuminauskas giedrius.tuminauskas at alva-group.com
Mon Jul 7 07:56:58 MDT 2014

Hi Volker,

I am afraid, but that is the latest version available from RH.
Personally I would install 4.1.9 source from Samba website, but in the
corporate environment I need to be sure that it is a stable version as
solid rock.
As you can see, that is the latest version as of today:

# yum info samba4
Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin, security,
subscription-manager
This system is receiving updates from Red Hat Subscription Management.
This system is receiving updates from RHN Classic or RHN Satellite.
rhel-6-server-rpms | 3.7 kB     00:00
Installed Packages
Name        : samba4
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 4.0.0
Release     : 61.el6_5.rc4
Size        : 1.1 M
Repo        : installed
 From repo   : rhel-x86_64-server-6
URL         : http://www.samba.org/

Just wondering, how different are these two versions (Samba.org or RH
supplied). Probably RH rpm is more optimised for the Kernel used, isn't it?
If I could compile source 4.1.9 provided from samba.org website, how
stability would be rated?

*
Giedrius Tuminauskas*
Systems Administrator