[Samba] Homes shares randomly dissapear on AD-DC'S

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Tue Jul 8 03:23:43 MDT 2014

Hi,

I have an strange issue on our company network. We run samba4 ad-dc's on
four branches as separate sites, they are connected via ipsec tunnels,
all servers are debian wheezy systems using sernet 4.1.9-8 samba packages.
We use roaming profiles with folder redirection configured via GPo's. In
tree of the four branches users suddenly losse the connection to their
home shares, since their appdata and desktop folders are redirected
there desktop goes blank and all types of errors pop up. If i look at
the samba server i can see the all shares are still available beside the
homes share and the sare with the username. It's fixable with an samba
restart on the server side. It never happens on the main site just at
the branches.
First this happen every two weeks or so on tree branches thougt i can
prevent it by restarting samba every night but that did not help.
Two days ago i upgraded samba from 4.1.4-7 to 4.1.9-8 and since then it
happes twice a day.

Here's the config we use at all four locations with differen netbios
name's of course.

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = DOMAIN
         realm = domain.local
         netbios name = SERVER
         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
         dns forwarder = 192.168.160.200
         template shell = /bin/bash
         log level = 3
         wins support = Yes
         deadtime = 10
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_KEEPIDLE=120
TCP_KEEPINTVL=10 TCP_KEEPCNT=5
         ea support = yes
         store dos attributes = yes
         map readonly = no
         map archive = no
         map system = no
         map hidden = no
         strict allocate = yes
         acl allow execute always = yes
         vfs objects = dfs_samba4, acl_xattr, aio_pthread
         aio read size = 1024
         aio write size = 1024
         csc policy = disable
         reset on zero vc = yes
         idmap config * : range = 3000000-4000000

[netlogon]
         root preexec = /etc/samba/scripts/user.py "%U"
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/fot.local/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
         read only = No

[profiles]
         path = /data/profiles
         read only = no

[homes]
         read only = No

[data]
         path = /data/data
         read only = No
         inherit acls = Yes

[applic]
         path = /data/applic
         read only = No
         inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/lib/samba/printing
         browseable = Yes
         read only = No
         printable = Yes

[print$]
         comment = Point and Print Printer Drivers
         path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
         read only = No

Unfortunately i have no error messages from log.smbd, had the log level
increased from1 to 3 and it seems to rotate once it reaches 5MB, another
thing i have to investigate now, there is no logrotate configuration
which interferes here.
I remember seeing errors like "service [username]not found trying
[username] as a printer".

Once it starts to happen for one user others can work for an while and
access there home shares but they loose them in an timeframe of about an
hour.

Have some of you seens such an behavior? It looks kinda dubious here
atm. :-)

achim~