[Samba] Weird behaviour

Giedrius Tuminauskas giedrius.tuminauskas at alva-group.com
Fri Jul 4 07:16:33 MDT 2014

Hello,

I have "samba4-4.0.0-61.el6_5.rc4" rpm running on Redhat EL6 from RHN
(Redhat Network). We use PCs and Macs to connect to the file shares on
the network.
Users are accessing various Microsoft Office files on the server.

A month ago noticed few strange things happening with Samba4:

1. Microsoft Office Files gets corrupted during the saving process (that
could be Microsoft bug)

2. Default handling of the file locking mechanism when accessing
MicroSoft Word or Excel files is not working correctly. It usually
happens when users simultaneously accessing files  from Apple iMacs and
Microsoft Windows PCs

3. Some files are just randomly dissapearing from the file listing, then
appear stays for few minutes and dissapear again. it happened to various
.xlsx and .docx files, sometimes they had some temporary files (
*~$*filename.ext or *._*filename.ext or *._~$*filename.ext )

4. If directory's name contains space at the end of the name, it becomes
not visible on the fileshare

Can anybody help me to the right direction?
The version of samba4 package is the latest stable version in Redhat
repositories. Upgrading to the latest version (4.1.9) from samba.org
vebsite and compiling, probably would invalidate system's stability.

Any thoughts are welcome

--
*Giedrius Tuminauskas*