[Samba] DNS Update [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Thamm, Russell russell.thamm at dsto.defence.gov.au
Mon Jul 7 00:46:46 MDT 2014

UNOFFICIAL
Hi,

I have setup a SAMBA 4 box as a DC on a 2003 server standalone domain. I intend to take over as the PDC and retire the 2003 server. I am using internal DNS.

If I modify/add a DNS A entry on the 2003 server, it is propagated to SAMBA 4 very quickly. But the reverse never happens.  Executing samba-dnsupdate --verbose indicates "No DNS updates needed" and shows no errors.

"A note on DNS updates" in the "Join a domain as a DC" seems to imply that this should work but perhaps it only pertains to bind.

So can I configure SAMBA 4 (using internal DNS) to propagate DNS changes to the 2003 server or does this require the use of bind?

Cheers
Russell

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.