[Samba] domain-based DFS ?

Davor Vusir davortvusir at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 13:05:39 MDT 2014

> On 07/02/14 09:28, Davor Vusir wrote:
>>

>>> On our config it treats the domain as the name of the server! Anyway,
>>> thanks for your time. We can't spend any longer with this as we are looking
>>> for a solution.
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Steve
>>>
>> Added uid, uidnumber and gidNumber to every account and group.
>> Resulted in access denied to \\vusir.local\dfs\share and home
>> directory.
>>
>> Commented 'idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes'. No change.
>>
>> Removed uid, uidNumber and gidNumber from relevant accounts and access
>> groups. No change.
>>
>> Removed uid, uidNumber and gidNumber from all accounts and access
>> Groups. No change.
>>
>> Reactivated 'idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes'. No change.
>>
>> A couple of restarts of the Windows 7 client, AD DC restarts and a
>> server reboot. Back in business.
>

> Hi Davor,

Hi Henrik,

thank you for your mail and sharing your experiences.

> This pretty much matches my observations with domain based dfs. It's a hit
> and miss with lots of poking around in the dark.

For me it was quite straight forward and "just worked". I don't share
the troubles expressed in this thread.

> Occasionally it works and all looks very nice, but then on the next login it
> might fail again. For me it was mostly failing.
> (But then again I suspect it had to do with my removing one of the AD DCs
> and downgrading it to a normal member server. I've seen the former AD pop up
> in one of the DFS tabs as dfs root even though it wasn't a DC any more.)

I think your suspicions are right. But for me it was (is) mostly
success. The troubles I have encountered, I believe rather depends on
that I run the AD DC and file server at the same host and using a
network bridge for virtualization.

> Once DFS failed in the observed way, there is no point in logout/login
> cycles.
> The only thing that *sometimes* helps is a complete reboot of the client and
> hoping for the best.
> This makes debugging the problem a very frustrating and time consuming
> business.
>
> Also smbclient and windows 7 show very different behavior.
> In smbclient I can always at least see the dfs directory but access to the
> visible shares will fail.
>
> $ smbclient -U sample12 '\\domain.local\dfs'
> Enter sample12's password:
> Domain=[DOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.9-Debian]
> smb: \> ls
>   .                                   D        0  Mon Jun 30 20:53:09 2014
>   ..                                  D        0  Thu Jun 26 13:17:10 2014
>   test2                               D        0  Mon Jun 30 18:08:11 2014
>   test                                D        0  Mon Jun 30 10:20:23 2014
>
>                 64514 blocks of size 32768. 30984 blocks available
> smb: \> ls test
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> Unable to follow dfs referral [\shares01\test]
> do_list: [\test] NT_STATUS_PATH_NOT_COVERED
> smb: \>
>
> In Windows 7 I can see the dfs share when I go to \\domain.local\ but
> changing into that \\domain.local\dfs share results in an error.

I have not experienced neither what have been mentioned on this thread
nor what you write here. But I'm having trouble when the host is
(re)started; Windows complains about non-existing logon servers. I
restart the Samba service, reboot the Windows client and the problem
is gone. The Samba errors are:

  WARNING: no network interfaces found
  task_server_terminate: [nbtd: no network interfaces configured]
  WARNING: no network interfaces found
  task_server_terminate: [cldapd: no network interfaces configured]
  WARNING: no network interfaces found
  task_server_terminate: [kdc: no network interfaces configured]
  /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: WARNING: no network interfaces found
  WARNING: no network interfaces found
  task_server_terminate: [nbtd: no network interfaces configured]
  WARNING: no network interfaces found
  task_server_terminate: [cldapd: no network interfaces configured]
  WARNING: no network interfaces found
  task_server_terminate: [kdc: no network interfaces configured]

This was not a problem before I configured DFS. Please note that I do
not think that neither Samba as AD DC, file server (the two running on
the same host), DFS nor the network bridge and the Windows client
running as virtual guest per se that is the problem. It is the
combination, all running on the same host, that is the problem.

When the the above combination, AD DC, file server and DFS, starts, it
runs fine! It seems stable.

> In contrast to this, access via \\addchost.domain.local\dfs works reliably
> from Windows and smbclient alike.
> Using this form I can even use smbclient with Kerberos authentication.
> (which fails for "domain.local" as there is no service principle for
> cfis/domain.local at DOMAIN.LOCAL in the Kerberos database.)
>
> I'll put that topic away for now.

Yes. But I think it is worth put some time and energy on.

Regards
Davor