[Samba] Still confused about Kerberos password expiry

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Wed Jul 2 10:57:17 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, jimc wrote:

> I haven't found an example there for how to properly set up a dns zone
> either.

When you run "samba-tool domain provision", it should properly set up the
DNS zone, assuming you used internal or bind9_dlz DNS.  Beyond that, I
think you may need to refer to Microsoft's documentation on how to set up
the DNS manually.

> Where is the real documentation? How do I learn what the options are to the
> samba-tool commands that demand them but won't tell me what they are?

samba-tool does seem to be pretty poorly documented.  The only
documentation seems to be is in the previously-mentioned --help option.
It took me a while to figure this out, but you can apply --help to every
subcommand in samba-tool, and it gives you usage and examples.  Some of
the commands are scattered about, so you may have to poke around a bit to
find them.  The ones you're looking for are:

samba-tool user setexpiry --help
samba-tool domain passwordsettings --help

> Am I really the only person in the whole world who is frustrated with the
> state of the documentation?

I find that for configuring samba itself (primarily the fileserver), the
man page for smb.conf is quite comprehensive.  But for setting up an
active directory domain, there's basically just the relatively sparse
documentation on the samba wiki, though some linux distributions do have
more fleshed out versions on their own documentation sites.  I think this
is partly due to that this functionality is only out of beta relatively
recently.  Also for much of it, like configuring DNS, GPOs, etc, you can
refer to MS's documentation.