[Samba] add a second file server for HA

Taylor, Jonn jonnt at taylortelephone.com
Wed Jul 2 07:52:39 MDT 2014

On 07/02/2014 08:30 AM, steve wrote:
> 4.1.6 dual AD DC domain with a single 4.1.6 file server (fs)
> Hi
> We'd like to add another fail-over fs to our domain. Due to all the
> conflicting (old?) documentation out there we would like to hear from
> any user here who has implemented this _recently_. By implemented we
> mean actually done it and are using it themselves. So,
> 1. is it doable?
> 2. could anyone list the acronyms we must use?
> 3. has anyone who has it working written documentation for others?
>
> Any help most gratefully received and we promise that any information
> leading to a successful implementation shall be documented in plain
> English the moment testing has finished.
> TIA,
> Steve

We run an HA cluster using pacemaker, samba 3.6, ctdb and drbd for many
years. I have tested this from the samba wiki and it works. The only
problem we had was smb2 in samba 4.x is very slow.

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_CTDB_GPFS_Cluster_HowTo

This is basis on our current setup. The only difference is we are using
CentOS 6.

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/drbd-users-guide.html
http://www.howtoforge.com/setting-up-an-active-active-samba-ctdb-cluster-using-gfs-and-drbd-centos-5.5

Jonn