[Samba] Samba 4.1.8 Importing automountmap ldif entries from existing OpenLDAP setup or ?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:56:09 MDT 2014

On 01/07/14 18:15, steve wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-07-01 at 10:06 -0700, Jefferson Davis wrote:
>> Probably not a huge deal to convert the existing entries to NIS.  I've
>> already done this with RFC2307bis (and I have the sed scripts to prove
>> it:) )
> maybe able to find an AD extension for your red hut pizza ldifs too if
> you shop around;)

OK, there are three autofs ldap schemas, versions 1 & 3 are on Steve's
Blog, If required I can supply a schema ldif for version 2. I created
all 3 when tested Autofs some months ago, though to be honest, I never
tried version two

The three versions can be identified from this:

  Version 1

MAP_OBJECT_CLASS="nisMap"
ENTRY_OBJECT_CLASS="nisObject"
MAP_ATTRIBUTE="nisMapName"
ENTRY_ATTRIBUTE="cn"
VALUE_ATTRIBUTE="nisMapEntry"

Version 2

MAP_OBJECT_CLASS="automountMap"
ENTRY_OBJECT_CLASS="automount"
MAP_ATTRIBUTE="ou"
ENTRY_ATTRIBUTE="cn"
VALUE_ATTRIBUTE="automountInformation"

Version 3

MAP_OBJECT_CLASS="automountMap"
ENTRY_OBJECT_CLASS="automount"
MAP_ATTRIBUTE="automountMapName"
ENTRY_ATTRIBUTE="automountKey"
VALUE_ATTRIBUTE="automountInformation"

I think that the OP is using version two.

Rowland

>> However, I do like the ease of maintenance aspect of your proposed
>> setup.  While we've been using per user map entries for years, it
>> would certainly simplify things.
>>
> Just trying to imagine if you have a new student or someone leaves...
> Can't recommend keeping it to the fewest possible number of maps enough.
> Cheers,
> Steve

>>> [users]
>>> path = /some/where
>>> read only = No

>>> is

>>> That's OK but it sort of doesn't make use of autofs, and you're
>> gonna
>>> have to have an ldap entry for everybody.

>>> You're not, but I think you're overcomplicating it. It's one of
>> those
>>> situations where things move fast and nobody knows about it. Having
>>> creds files is going to cause you a hell of a lot of work and would
>>> only
>>> be needed if you have an old version of cifs-utils. In fact, you
>> need
>>> only one unprivileged user who mounts what anyone requests and the
>>> cifs
>>> multiuser option. key-utils and the cifs upcall will consult the
>>> keytab
>>> by default [1]. Any recent version will get you there, I know 6.2
>>> certainly works. Obviously, that key must be made available
>> otherwise
>>> you're gonna get asked for a password, so a little bit of extra
>> work,
>>> each client will need that key adding to the keytab.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Steve