[Samba] Samba 4.1.8 Importing automountmap ldif entries from existing OpenLDAP setup or ?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Jul 1 08:31:59 MDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 11:17 -0700, Jefferson Davis wrote:
> Let me see if I understand this correctly...
>
> My setup is using redhat's schema which "as I understand it" (always
> dangerous) is the rfc2307 schema.
>
> From /etc/sysconfig/autofs:
>
> MAP_OBJECT_CLASS="automountMap"
> ENTRY_OBJECT_CLASS="automount"
> MAP_ATTRIBUTE="ou"
> ENTRY_ATTRIBUTE="cn"
> VALUE_ATTRIBUTE="automountInformation"

I do not have the schema extension for this.

> From what I gather you're suggesting that we let AD be the arbiter of
> file-locking via CIFS to avoid cross-platform file locking issues.
> I'd love to have a single map entry for all users, though I would be
> concerned about performance on a 3000 user network.   We split up our
> staff on one share and students+teachers on another for security and
> performance reasons.
>
> We've not had any file locking issues with our samba3+openldap++autofs
> +nfs setup that I can recall, but trusting my memory is not for the
> faint of heart.
>
> We are in production though at the moment the affected userbase is
> much smaller with teachers and students and most admin staff gone for
> the summer.  And with the samba4 AD domain separate, I can do some
> testing without causing too many tears.
>
> Also, this is a bit odd to me:
>
> /home/users/steve
> maps nicely to:
> * -fstype=cifs,username=somebody,multiuser ://users/&

My fault. Probably wishful thinking. yes, of course, you must specify
the server:
://server/users/&

smb.conf on server would be:
[users]
path = /some/where
read only = No

> In that we need to point it at a particular host and that appears to
> be missing.  The only thing I can assume is that the AD Controller is
> the single and only automount host?
>
> To translate to our environment, I would perhaps look at something
> like this:
>
> fstab mounts staff share to /home/users on a server named "staff"
>
> each staff user would have the following:
>
> /home/users/jdavis
> would then map to:
> -fstype=cifs,username=jdavis staff://home/users/jdavis

That's OK but it sort of doesn't make use of autofs, and you're gonna
have to have an ldap entry for everybody.

> Though it appears that credentials may need to be passed.  oy.
>
> http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74-ubuntu/56-ubuntu-autofs
>
> Sorry to be so dense...
You're not, but I think you're overcomplicating it. It's one of those
situations where things move fast and nobody knows about it. Having
creds files is going to cause you a hell of a lot of work and would only
be needed if you have an old version of cifs-utils. In fact, you need
only one unprivileged user who mounts what anyone requests and the cifs
multiuser option. key-utils and the cifs upcall will consult the keytab
by default [1]. Any recent version will get you there, I know 6.2
certainly works. Obviously, that key must be made available otherwise
you're gonna get asked for a password, so a little bit of extra work,
each client will need that key adding to the keytab.

HTH
Steve
[1]
One thing we asked the cifs guys for was a switch to be able to specify
a keytab other than the default. The -d switch to the upcall can now
read any specified keytab. Handy, as it prevents you having to merge or
add keys to the default keytab. Just go around with a usb stick and copy
it to /etc.