[Samba] How to join a Linux machine to a Samba4 domain

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 30 12:39:57 MST 2014

On 30/01/14 19:14, Lea Massiot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Steve:
>
> To sum up a bit:
> if one wants a "Linux" client (B) to join a "Samba4 AD DC" domain running on
> a machine (A) with IP 192.168.0.13, one should:
>
> 1) Install some packages on (B):
>
> apt-get install krb5-user krb5-config libpam-krb5 auth-client-config
> sasl2-bin libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules libsasl2-modules-gssapi-mit
>
> 2) Edit "/etc/krb5.conf" on (B), put these lines in it:
>
> [libdefaults]
>          default_realm = EXAMPLE.COM
>          dns_lookup_realm = false
>          dns_lookup_kdc = true
>
> 3) Edit "/etc/resolv.conf" on (B)
>
> search example.com
> nameserver 192.168.0.13
>

> What about "samba-client"?
> Does it have to be installed? You said "yes" earlier, but I'm not sure
> anymore.
> Is the "Debian Wheezy" package "samba-client" going to be compatible with
> the "Samba4 AD DC" server which wasn't installed from a "Debian" package but
> from the sources http://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/samba-4.1.4.tar.gz?

Have you compiled samba-4.1.4 on the client as well as on the server?

If not then you need to install samba via apt-get

> What is the command that has to be run then to join the domain?
> "samba-tool domain join" or "net ads join" or something else?
Use net ads join

> Rowland:
>
> In the Web page you pointed me to:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares
> I do not understand why they are talking about a "smb.conf" file in the
> section "ACL support on member server".
> Where does this "smb.conf" file come from?
If you compile samba yourself then it will actually be
/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf and you will have to create it yourself,
but if you install samba via apt-get, you will get a sample
/etc/samba/smb.conf that you can alter.

> In the section "Setup share permissions", I'm reading "Enter the name of
> your Samba server, you've create the new share on."
> I already know how to create a share on the "Samba4 AD DC" server, what I
> don't know is how to create a share on a Linux (Debian Wheezy) client,
> member of this domain.
It does not matter whether you create a samba share on the server,
fileserver or client, it is just done in the same way, add the share to
smb.conf, then create the directory as per the instructions on the howto.

Rowland