[Samba] How to join a Linux machine to a Samba4 domain

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Thu Jan 30 03:12:02 MST 2014

Hi,

On 2014-01-30 11:00, Lea Massiot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My question is about how to join a "Linux" machine to a "Samba4 AD DC"
> domain.
>
> Given that I have a "Samba4 AD DC" running on a machine (A),
> given that I have a another machine (B) running "Linux Debian Wheezy",
> can you tell me:
>
> 1) How I can join (B) to the domain?
>
> Do I have to install specific packages on (B)?

Samba4. Preferably not the bugged and incomplete packages shipped with
Wheezy. Use the packages provided by sernet, or wheezy-backports.

(Note that Samba4 in wheezy-backports breaks sssd, you'll only be able
to use winbind or pam_ldap. Refer to the recent and still ongoing
elaborate shitstorms on the mailing list to pros/cons of sssd vs. winbindd.)

> Does it look like something like this: "net ads join -U Administrator"?

Should be "samba-tool domain join" in Samba 4.1+. Refer to its help
texts and manpages for details, it's the only documentation currently
existing.

> 2) How can I create a shared directory on (B) so that other clients both
> Windows and Linux can access it in read and write mode?

Not visibly different from samba3. Set it up in your smb.conf, and
ensure your auth backends (winbind or sssd) are configured properly.

Sven Schwedas
Systemadministrator
TAO Beratungs- und Management GmbH | Lendplatz 45 | A - 8020 Graz
Mail/XMPP: sven.schwedas at tao.at | +43 (0)680 301 7167
http://software.tao.at