[Samba] Rename computer, but still shows up as old name

Scott Goodwin scott at mimicsimulation.com
Wed Jan 29 14:33:20 MST 2014

Samba Version 4.1.4-SerNet-RedHat-7.el6
Using RSAT via Windows 8.1
--
For a computer that is on the domain, I rename it from the client, then
reboot. This renames the computer as expected.  The common name in AD,
however, is not affected.  Is there a way to do this?  Am I missing a step?
Details:  Using RSAT, I see the old computer name, not the new computer
name. If I double click on the entity, I see on the General tab that the
Computer name and and DNS name ARE changed. It's just the common name that
isn't updated.  On command line:
samba-tool spn list dompc-newname$

This gives me:
dompc-newname$
User CN=DOMPC-OLDNAME,OU=Desktops,OU=Domain Computers,DC=example,DC=com has
the following servicePrincipalName:
HOST/DOMPC-NEWNAME
...etc...

As you can see, it sees the new name everywhere except in the CN.

So, is this expected behavior? I'm not seeing an obvious way to rename CN
to new name, either via RSAT or via samba-tool.  The workaround is, of
course, to unjoin from domain, then rejoin, but I'd rather not have to do
that if I don't have to.

Thanks, and let me know if you need more deets.